The broad aim of the MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INNOVATIVE EDUCATION & TEACHING is to prepare a more able, efficient, internationally oriented, skilled teaching force. The programme aims at equipping teachers with necessary knowledge and skills, as well as inculcate continuing education mindset to enable them to:
The programme structure enables students to acquire the following knowledge and transferable skills:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of educational and psychological theories, principles and concepts that directly or indirectly affect teaching and learning.
- Critically analyse and verify the application of such theories, principles and concepts in one’s own day-to-day teaching practices.
- Construct models and plan strategies aimed at improving curriculum delivery.
- Employ assessment techniques that are in alignment with teaching approaches and pedagogic soundness.
- Develop a sound educational philosophy that would be reflected in every thought-pattern, action plan and execution of lessons.
- Evaluate contemporary educational ideas and practices and critically examine their relevance, appropriateness, and benefit to improving student learning and achievement.
- Embrace, practice and advocate for educational best practices that maximize teacher satisfaction and students’ success in learning.
- There are 7 Core Modules + 1 Action Research Paper. Each Module has a value of 7.5 ECTS.
- To complete the programme and gain the award, students must successfully complete a total of 60 ECTS.
- The duration of the programme is 12-18 months.
Personalised exercises, assignments and/or quizzes are utilised throughout the course/programme to measure progress in learning. Such comprehensive assessment procedure is characterised by being diagnostic, formative (intervention-oriented), and summative.
100% completion of courses and assessment therein is required to be able to get certified in the said course and/or programme.
- EDUC510: EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHIES: AN OVERVIEW (7.5 ECTS)
To introduce students to the broad philosophical ideas of education in classical times and to review the reception of these ideas for today’s classroom, such as idealism, realism, neo-scholasticism, perennialism, essentialism, futurism, re-constructionism, existentialism, humanism, pragmatism, progressivism, and behaviourism; to help students to understand how education has evolved and developed over the years beginning from the 19th century industrial revolution era up until today’s scientific and information technological era.
- EDUC520: CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT (7.5 ECTS)
A survey of curriculum theories including theories pertaining curriculum planning and development, curriculum implementation and curriculum evaluation models: an overview of curricular frameworks as processes and plans embodying particular views of the role of education at philosophical, policy and practical level; relating these perspectives to international trends in curriculum constructs; contextualising curriculum stances and student needs; the role and purposes of assessment in curriculum plans and designs.
- EDUC530: DIMENSIONS OF LEARNING: APPLICATION IN CLASSROOM (7.5 ECTS)
This module focuses on enhancing student teachers’ capacity to understand and plan for active learning in classrooms. The module will address class management; developing a community of learners (e.g. group work; cognitive strategy instruction), approaches to learning (cognitive and socio-cultural theories); and literacy across the curriculum. It would also address effective teaching and learning including active learning, constructivism, multiple intelligences, teaching and learning styles, classroom planning, interaction, differentiation and assessment.
- EDUC540: ASSESSMENT IN EDUCATION: MEASUREMENT & EVALUATION (7.5 ECTS)
This module provides comprehensive definitions of test, measurement, evaluation and assessment, as well as roles of measurement and evaluation in education. Also, the interrelationship among evaluation, evaluation tools, and assessment techniques is explained. Students will evaluate and use appropriate tests in pupil diagnosis and attainment, interpret and apply tests results in appropriate teaching strategies. Taxonomy of educational objectives is also explained, laying emphasis on the cognitive and psychomotor domains.
- EDUC550: PSYCHOLOGY OF LEARNING: LESSONS FROM COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY (7.5 ECTS)
This module deals on the theories and principles in educational psychology and applications to the problems of education in a variety of educational settings, applications to curriculum, teaching and learning; theories of human development; cognitive and constructive view of learning; behavioural and social cognitive perspective of learning. It examines the theoretical and applied aspects of learning motivation, personality, classroom management, culture and evaluation of learning outcomes.
- EDUC560: EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY: THE 21ST CENTURY CLASSROOM (7.5 ECTS)
Technology can be a powerful tool for transforming learning. It can help affirm and advance relationships between educators and students, reinvent our approaches to learning and collaboration, shrink long-standing equity and accessibility gaps, and adapt learning experiences to meet the needs of all learners. Our education institutions should be incubators of exploration and invention. Educators should be collaborators in learning, seeking new knowledge and constantly acquiring new skills alongside their students. Education leaders should set a vision for creating learning experiences that provide the right tools and supports for all learners to thrive.
- EDUC570: CLASSROOM DYNAMICS AND BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT (7.5 ECTS)
Exposing students of the range of theories and practices related to the management, motivation and maintenance of professional control involved in the education of children and adolescents. Emphasis will be placed on the essential need to create a suitable learning environment that is appropriate to the specific context of practice; Examination of the regulation of behaviour through the application of principles and theories of learning and motivation; Emphasis on behavioural management that results in optimum learning and development through the various stages of life. The module includes a focus on the application of behaviour management for classroom control and supervision.
ACTION RESEARCH PAPER
- EDUC580: EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH: DESIGNS AND PROCEDURES (7.5 ECTS)
This module will specifically place greater emphasis on and introduce students to action research, a form of self-reflective systematic inquiry by practitioners on their own practice. The goals of action research are the improvement of practice, a better understanding of that practice, and an improvement in the situation in which the practice is carried out.
- Recognised Bachelor Degree in any field.
- Sufficient English language proficiency (IELTS 6.0 or its equivalent).
- At least 3 years of working experience as a professional teacher.
Note: Mature & high potential candidates without a degree could be considered on a case-by-case basis.
We recommend an average of 10-12 hours of study time per week for this programme.
The full programme would take somewhere between 12 – 18 months to complete. It is imperative that students meet module assignment submission deadlines as indicated.
- Passport Copy.
- Passport Size Photo (jpg format).
- Latest CV / Résume.
- Education Certificates + Transcripts.
- Personal Statement (500 words).
- 2-3 Reference Letters (past or current employer(s) or professors).
Personalised, easy to understand text-based (reading materials) interactive resources that progressively and systematically takes the learner through various areas of competencies required at the workplace, in a specialised field of study.
EIU-Paris follows European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS academic credits scheme). The ECTS credit system makes degree programmes and student performance more transparent and comparable all across European Union countries.
M.S.IET Grading Scheme:
M.S.IET. programme consists of 7 core modules and an Action Research paper. Each of the 7 modules and action research paper carries 7.5 ECTS (7.5*8 = 60 ECTS) making the total ECTS for M.S.IET programme 60. Before the evaluation, the results are divided into two subgroups: Pass and Fail.
The grading system is defined as follows:
|Unsatisfactory||49% and below.|